5/5/08

Macy's Green Washing


I've been meaning for two weeks now to post an irate response to a Macy's ad (above via Streetsblog). I was going to rail about how hard it is to actually lock up a bike at Macy's or how the the only thing remotely related to bikes that they sell are dress shoes (with "bicycle toe" what ever that means).
But I can't.
I just can't seem to get upset at this apparent corporate green washing. Maybe it will convince someone to commute by bike. Could the money from this ad campaign have been better used outfitting low-income families with proper protective equipment or creating an education program that tries not to let kids fall into the driving culture of their parents? Sure, but I'm just not able to get upset about it any more.
I think, my time is better spent hoping it doesn't rain on my on my way home.