5/2/08

Bicycle Month

As you may know May is Bicycling Month. To honor this (and to try to make amends for not posting much in the last week or so). I am pledging not to drive for the entire month of May. Also, I'm doing this to make up for the fact that I drove to work on Monday, Tuesday AND Wednesday this week. Monday I had a good reason (wife's birthday), Tuesday I made a good reason (worried about being late to an alumni group meeting) and Wednesday I pretended that I had a good reason (decided to get my leg checked out again - it is okay). Too much driving this week, so I'm taking a break.

Unfortunately, this doesn't mean I will not ride in a car (I have in fact already done that). Only that I will need to justify every car ride in public on this blog. All other trips will be taken using my feet, my bike or public transportation (or more likely a blend of the three). I suggest any of you that can, try this out and see how one month can change your life. (He says in a cheesy TV commercial voice.)

So to start here are my justifications for yesterday's automobile trips:
1. I rode with my boss to lunch because he was going there already and I could help get the orders of my other co-workers.
2. I got a ride home from work from a co-worker because he was headed to a hospital (to pick up his dad from a doctors appt.) that is in my area. I accepted the ride because I had already missed the bus that only comes every half-hour and only wanted a ride to the bus station.

On a good note:
I rode to the movies last night to see the "This American Life," 'live' show (it wasn't live on the west coast). Found a place to lock up my bike at the mall that wasn't crazy far away (found a back alley inside the mall and locked it to a handrail) and didn't get any grief from the ticket taker in the theater about bringing in my handlebar bag.


Add to Technorati Favorites

468x60 REI Spring

Direct link to REI Cycling store