9/30/08

Ride the Lightning

Riding in Lightning

Question: What is the protocol for riding in a thunderstorm? Lightning is a rare occurrence in San Diego and I found myself wondering about the safety of it as I rode Monday morning in the dark toward ever increasing lightning strikes. I was fortunate to be able to get onto the train before it even began to rain (I was not expecting adverse weather and did not have any rain gear, but I did have my laptop).

I'm sure that the terrain has a lot to do with how safe the ride will be; an open field will be far more dangerous than midtown Manhattan, between all the skyscrapers. Do the tires of your bike work the same as your car tires to insulate you from the ground so that you are safer on a bike than walking? Should you just abort whatever trip you were on and wait the storm out (or call for a ride if you are so lucky)?

I don't know the answers to these questions, but I hope that you do.


Add to Technorati Favorites

468x60 REI Spring

Direct link to REI Cycling store